Built in 1838, the Drennen-Scott House is one of the earliest homes built in Van Buren, Arkansas. It was home to John Drennen, a founder of Van Buren. In 2005, the house and grounds were acquired by the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith. Development and restoration of the structures and grounds were undertaken, with funding assistance from the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council. John Milner Associates (JMA), an historical preservation firm of Alexandria, Virginia, was selected as the architect. Hawkins-Weir Engineers, Inc. was hired by JMA as a subconsultant responsible for the design of site/civil improvements. The grading plan, drainage system design, utility service layout, fire protection improvements, parking lot layout and pavement design were just some of the services provided by Hawkins-Weir Engineers, Inc.
The Drennen-Scott House Project received the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas’ Excellence in Restoration Award in 2011.